Friday, June 02, 2006

Re-Learning to navigate banking

Dearest Jan:

It is hard to compete with the reliability of hospital services; this morning at 8:05am you asked me with a puzzled look in your face: Where is breakfast? It's already 5 minutes late! I was shaving and almost cut my chin when I heard your question. But you were gracious enough to give me a few minutes more...You ate little anyway, we discussed how to help you gain some weight, but you think that you are perfectly fine the way you are now.

Later in the morning Donna came, and the three of us went to the bank to "unfreeze" your account which had been tagged by the bank's security. What ensued was a one hour visit and dozens of procedures with an over-solicitous banker that occasionally added to your confusion.

I work with immigrants who need to learn how to navigate the Canadian licensing system to be able to practice their professions, but, I never imagined that my wife -one of the most Canadian of all Canadians I know- would be in any need of re-learning how to navigate the Canadian banking system! With an anxious face you endured the explanations and assurances that everything is alright. As always, Donna was great "translating" technical stuff into something more understandable for you.

I went to the office for a few hours while Donna visited with you. I would not have been able to do it without her help. Later we had BBQ chicken from a reputable joint and we had a great time laughing at the many comical situations you experienced during your stay at the hospitals.

You went to bed late, it was about 9pm. We talked some more before you fell asleep. Thus Friday was filled in our calendar.

Fede

---------
PS: We still need help from our friends to schedule some time in the days to come. Those reading this blog, please call Jan.

No comments: