Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Threading hope

Jan had a less than plentiful day, full of anxiety, and low in energy. Was up in the morning for breakfast and some conversation, then, when I left, she felt asleep until the early afternoon. Mom and Louise came to visit and I got back to the hospital at dinner time. At one point she asked me to braid her hair. I tried a couple of methods and failed miserably. Then Louise had a try, but she was very sensitive and any stimulation was magnified, she expereinced a little pull of her hair as something really painful. After a few minutes of an emotional roller-coaster, she had her hair in a bun, not exactly what she wanted but she accepted the job. Her speech continues to improve little by little. Her energy is still limited to about an hour at a time. We packed her last cards and clothes. Steve and Sue came with a beautiful gift: a sculpture of two eagles soaring. Jan was really happy, because years ago she was told that she had to live life like an eagle. soaring high. We made plans for tomorrow, the moving day. They will come early in the morning to transport her in an ambulance to the Rehab hospital. She is looking forward to the change, but at the same time, anxiety took the best of her today. Pray that she keeps her inner strength and peace in spite of the external changes. Her strength in her right leg is increasing by the day. She was making horizontal and vertical movements with her right arm. Still the pathologists consider her as a patient with Aphasia and Apraxia. I don't know what to think about that. Jan is being challenging all prognosis and is determined to get well. The one thing that is still sure is that I have no name for her, I am Mom, Tom, Will, Peter, Tony, Andrew, Paul, Joseph, and everyone in between...I think I have gotten over my identity crisis. Please call the contact people to get detailed instructions of how to get there.

blessings,
FC

No comments: