Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The heart of the matter

Jan was writing the fifth page of words, I suppose this was her homework. It was past 8pm, and the rest of the hospital was already quiet. She seemed very calm and centered. Her words were carefully selected. On occasion she would miss the odd one and she would gesture with her face and say, Oh, man! She said she was glad to see me. She didn't expect to see me today again. It was almost two days, she said, since the last time we saw each other. She asked me to show her my watch, and said the time correctly.

We went for a walk, she walks with certainty and balance, her motions are slow, but fluid. She moves like a feather caught in a light breeze.

We talked a bit about the weekend. She was very clear about how it went the wrong way, and how this does not need to happen. We laughed and hugged. She was beaming again.

-fede

No comments: