Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Purple Flowers and care givers


You were asleep when I called this morning. You were asleep when I called at lunch time. You were asleep when I got to the hospital just before. You were tired and with low energy, but very clear in your speech. Day of recovering from the pain from the last two days. When you are tired, you sound softer, more fragile, you speak as if you wanted to keep the rain suspended, silent, on the liquid side of your window.

Today was raining most of the day; a perfect day to just get under the blankets and see the rain fall. Let others get wet, look at the clouds move fast, hear the thunder in the distance and remember your childhood days, walking under the rain back home.

I remember one of the girls from RUC commenting that you speak with this "Parisian" accent; low, velvety voice, a distinct pronunciation with a peculiar swaying of each word, until you come to that particular word that you can't find. How romantic and accurate this description of a passionate person, your passion is revealed even in your "accent".

You will have some bloodwork on Friday morning in preparation for the surgery next week. I was delighted to hear that you were really concerned about missing speech therapy. I am sure Sol will feel the same. Tonight there was a conference on Aphasia t the auditorium. You wanted to go to your room but sent me to the conference. I was amazed at what I heard: relatives speaking of a few words after 5 years of therapy, six months without any words, really broken language. I felt grateful for what I see in you. In only 12 weeks you are already debating any topic, walking around and making friends with just about anyone who crosses your way.

You got beautiful purple flowers from Vivian's garden, so fitting to your window, providing a perfect contrast to the grey background of this rainy day. Kate (?) came also to visit. I could not get the names, but from your comments I am certgain you had a wonderful time with them. Rain, flowers, friends, nice memories, the certainty of God's love, what else can one expect from life?

-Fede

No comments: